Confucius Classrooms are school-based hubs for Chinese teaching and learning.Chinese Where Available - 中文
Confucius Classrooms (CCs) are school-based hubs for Chinese teaching and learning. CCs managed by Confucius Institute (CI) in Auckland are eligible to receive annual funding from Hanban (CI headquarters), as well as books and teaching materials directly from Hanban. They have additional entitlements to teacher training in China, scholarships for pupils, and support for summer camps. Schools may combine to apply as one Confucius Classroom.
Confucius Classroom schools currently linked to the Confucius Institute in Auckland are:
- Henderson Intermediate Confucius Classroom (Waitakere Mandarin Cluster): Henderson Intermediate School (Lead School),Pomaria Primary School, Waitakere College.
- Willow Park Confucius Classroom Willow Park Primary School (Lead School): Northcote Intermediate School; Takapuna Normal Intermediate School.
- Parnell District School Confucius Classroom,
- Holy Cross Confucius Classroom: Holy Cross School (Lead School), St Dominic's College, Henderson North Primary School.
- Glenfield Intermediate Confucius Classroom Glenfield Intermediate School (Lead School): Bayview Primary, Glenfield Primary, Manuka Primary, Windy Ridge Primary, Greenhithe Primary, Marlborough Primary and Glenfield College.
- St Peter's College Confucius Classroom
- Meadowbank School Confucius Classroom
- New Lynn School Confucius Classroom
- Kelston Intermediate School Confucius Classroom: Kelston Intermediate School (Lead School), Kelston Primary School, Fruitvale Primary School, St Leonard's Road Primary.
- Westlake Boys High School Confucius Classroom
- ACG Strathallan Confucius Classroom: ACG Strathallan, Te Hihi Primary School
- New Zealand College of Chinese Medicine Confucius Classroom
Schools interested in applying for CC status should have all or most of the following:
- a well-established, high quality Chinese programme with an allocated teacher
- an established and ongoing strategic plan to further develop Chinese in schools
- a commitment and clear support for the Chinese programme from the Principal, Board and community.
- a history of engagement with CI through participation in speech competitions or other CI sponsored activities
- a record of successful engagement with China, through such things as having a partner school in China
- willing to act as a resource/advisory centre to showcase and promote the teaching of Chinese in New Zealand.
If you meet most of the above and interested in becoming a Confucius Classroom school in the wider Auckland region, please contact us at the Confucius Institute in Auckland.
Applications for Confucius Classrooms are currently not open. Please revisit this site for updates.