New Zealand-China Scholarship
The Confucius Institute in Auckland in cooperation with China Scholarship Council (CSC) of China's Ministry of Education facilitates the selection of up to 10 full scholarships for Chinese language study in China each year.
- Applicants must be currently studying at a New Zealand tertiary institution in the final year of a qualification or have completed a tertiary qualification at a New Zealand tertiary institution.
- Applicants need to demonstrate their academic excellence in their field of studies.
- Applicants must be New Zealand citizens.
- The China Scholarship Council does not accept applicants aged over 45.
- Native speakers will not normally be considered for this scholarship.
The Confucius Institute in Auckland will convene a panel to select the candidates and recommend them to CSC. Selection criteria to include:
- Academic excellence.
- Strength of references.
- Evidence of applicant's commitment to achieving a high level of proficiency in Chinese language and in understanding of Chinese society and culture.
- The applicant’s future work and study plan including the degree of Chinese language skills.
- Evidence of applicant's ability to be independent and able to adapt to living and studying in another culture.
- Involvement in community and extracurricular activities.
The panel reserves the right to make reasonable enquiries in relation to information contained in the scholarship applications. The selection panel's decision will be final. Successful applicants will be asked to state their preferred university placements. However, the final placements will be made by the China Scholarship Council and may not be challenged.
Value and Tenure of Award
The scholarships cover the students’ tuition fees, shared accommodation, medical care and a monthly stipend during the agreed period of study, one academic year. Students will be responsible for their own airfares, insurance to and from China, required pre-departure medical examination, visa fees, and for any other expenses not explicitly covered by the scholarship. Final placement in a Chinese university and the length of study will be the prerogative of the China Scholarship Council.
Conditions of Tenure
The successful applicants will be required to:
- sign a contract regarding the scholarship's terms and conditions
- comply with the rules and regulations of the China Scholarship Council
- attend an award function, if requested, and cooperate with any promotional publicity related to the scholarship
- provide the Confucius Institute in Auckland with interim and final reports on their scholarship (guidelines will be provided).
Application deadline is 5pm, 28 July, 2017.
For more info and application form please Contact Us.
***FOR students who are applying for CSC Scholarship for "non-Chinese language study" in Chinese universities, please also download and submit our 2018 application form by the deadline, 5pm, 28 July, 2017.
A separate online application should be submitted on CSC website as required.
In regarding to the online application, please note:
2. The Agency No. for New Zealand applicants is: 5541. The Program Category is: A.
Successful China Scholarship candidates are welcome/encouraged to apply for The Prime Minister's Scholarships for Asia (PMSA). This is a separate application process. Information can be found at http://enz.govt.nz/how-we-work/scholarships/pmsa.