This camp aims to award outstanding secondary students of Chinese with a Chinese language and culture immersion experience to practise what they have learned and to improve their Chinese communication skills. Opportunities are also given to the successful students to have the interaction and exchange with students from rural Chinese schools.
The camp is sponsored by Hanban/Confucius Institute Headquarters in Beijing through Confucius Institute in Auckland, the University of Auckland and Fudan University in corporation with New Zealand Brighter Future Education Trust.
Dates: 3-17 December 2018
- Chinese language and culture studies;
- Seminars on China;
- Cultural interaction and experiences;
- Chinese secondary school visit and interaction with Chinese students in Guizhou area where scholarships are offered to local rural students by New Zealand Brighter Future Education Trust.
- Learner of Chinese at a local school* in Year 12 or 13;
- 2-3 years of Chinese learning in secondary schools;
- Recommended by your current Chinese teacher in the school;
- Participated in Confucius Institute Chinese Competitions/examinations;
- Physically fit for international travel;
- New Zealand citizen or permanent resident;
- Non-native speaker of Chinese.
* Secondary schools in Greater Auckland, Waikato, Northland regions.
The organisers (Confucius Institute and NZ Brighter Future Education Trust) will cover:
- Return international airfare from Auckland China, domestic travel in China;
- All in-China language and culture study related expenses, including accommodation, tuition, local transportation, sightseeing activities and meals;
- Travel insurance.
*Students are required to pay a management fee of NZ$250 if successful with their application. This will be organised post selection.
- Application form;
- One recommendation letter from your current Chinese teacher signed by your school principal;
- A copy of the photo page of your valid passport;
- A short passage in Chinese to explain why you want to apply for this award.
How to apply:
Submit the application package to: firstname.lastname@example.org by close of business on 11 August 2018.
The selection panel’s decision will be final. If you have any further questions, please send an email to: email@example.com.