NZ-China Government Scholarship
The Confucius Institute in Auckland facilitates the NZ–China Scholarship selection panel to recommend up to 10 full scholarships to the China Scholarship Council (CSC) of China’s Ministry of Education, to study in a Chinese university for an academic year.
The application for the academic year 2022 is now open.
Please click the links below to DOWNLOAD the scholarship information sheet.
For applicants, please follow the link and apply online with the required details and documents.
At least two professional references are required to support the scholarship application. For referees, please follow the link below and provide your comment on the applicant.
The scholarships are awarded in September 2021 for study beginning in February 2022.
The application deadline is Friday 5 PM, 30 July 2021.
Please contact us by email for further inquiries.
- Applicants must be New Zealand citizens;
- Applicants must be currently studying at a New Zealand tertiary institution or have completed a tertiary qualification at a New Zealand tertiary institution within the last 5 years;
- Applicants need to demonstrate their academic excellence in their field of studies;
- The China Scholarship Council does not accept applicants over 45 years of age.
The Confucius Institute in Auckland will convene a panel to select the candidates and recommend them to CSC.
Selection criteria includes:
- overall academic excellence;
- strength of references;
- evidence of the applicant’s commitment to achieving a higher level of proficiency in Chinese language and understanding of Chinese society and culture.
- the applicant’s future work and study plans including the degree of Chinese language skills;
- evidence of the applicant’s ability to be independent and the ability to adapt to living and studying in another culture;
- involvement in community and extracurricular activities.
- The selection panel reserves the right to make reasonable enquiries in relation to information contained in the scholarship applications. The selection panel’s decision will be final.
- Successful applicants will be asked to state their preferred university placements. However, the final placements will be made by the China Scholarship Council and may not be challenged.
Value and Tenure of Award
- The scholarships cover the students’ tuition fees, shared accommodation, on-campus medical care and a monthly stipend during the agreed period of study.
- Students will be responsible for their own airfares, travel insurance to and from China, required pre-departure medical examination, visa fees, and for any other expenses not explicitly covered by the scholarship.
- Final placement in a Chinese university and the length of study will be the prerogative of the China Scholarship Council.
Conditions of Tenure
The successful applicants will be required to:
- sign a contract regarding the scholarship’s terms and conditions;
- comply with the rules and regulations of the China Scholarship Council;
- attend an award function, if requested, and cooperate with any promotional publicity related to the scholarship;
- provide the Confucius Institute in Auckland with interim and final reports on their scholarship (guidelines will be provided).
Successful NZ-China Scholarship candidates are welcome/encouraged to apply for The Prime Minister’s Scholarships for Asia (PMSA), which is a separate application process.